if i

Thursday, June 02, 2005

From my Childhood onwards....

.
I would like to just recollect, Kaps' last post on what would have been (yesteryear glamour girl !!!!) Mumtaz's ambitions, if she had not entered films. If you ask any of the existing stars, they will tell similar things, that they had the ambition to become a Computer Engineer, Doctor etc, etc.

But, you cannot stop anyone from having their own ambitions. They may be true to themselves when they reveal such ambitions to the press. I can remember actresses like Gowtami, Kanika ('Five Star', 'Autograph') who were in Engineering Colleges at the time of their entry. Atleast, these stars entered after a particular age..(accidentally, as they claim!!!).

But, what about the child artistes who shine in the cineworld at a young stage with their cute, charm faces? They take away our hearts with their performances, when they are young. Are they going back to their original lifestyle with their ambitions of pre-acting era? I had observed that in most of the cases, the high profile child artistes come back to the tinsel town later-on, with the ambition of achieving big as heroes and heroines. The noted exception was Shamilee of Mani's 'Anjali' fame (Shalini's sister). Surprisingly, she didn't enter the domain again (so far!!), even after showing her face as a grown up girl in 'Kandukondein Kandukondein'.

The driving factor must be either the lure of the cine fame or the parents who force their kids into the industry again. However, only a few were successful and remained at the top for long years. Straightaway, I can pick up KamalHaasan & Sridevi.


Kamal & Sridevi - Ruled the roost for a long time

They were the successful icons, for those child artistes who entered the filmworld subsequently. But everybody couldn't make it to the top. I hand picked few who really made themselves visible.

Vijay - SA.Chandrasekhar promoted him as a child artist in many of his movies, before making him a hero. Now, he is on the top on his own.

Simbu @ Silambarasan - He had talked too much as child artist, like his Dad. Now he is riding on his 'Manmadhan' waves. Yet to see, if he can leave his mark continuously.

Shalini - It was unfortunate that such a wonderful child artiste turned heroine had gone into the shell, after her marriage with Ajith. It was a loss to the industry as well as many hearts...

Meena - She transformed herself completely from 'Anbulla Rajinikanth' to 'Ejamaan' to 'Shock'. But, is there anymore stock in her hands?


Shalini & Meena - With a proper acting calibre

And few others, who hit my mind are...

Rohini - After being a child artiste in Telugu movies, she entered thru 'Illamaik Kalangal' with Mohan and now is appearing in Mom / Sis Characters.

Sridevi Vijaykumar - People remember her as the chubby girl of 'Rickshaw Mama' & 'Amma Vanthachu'. But, still she couldn't impress the audience, with her heroine roles of 'Kathal Virus', 'Thithikkuthae', 'Devathaiyai Kandein' etc., Will she stay or move out from the big screen like her sisters Vanitha & Preetha?


Chubby gone..Beauty now.. But, Survival??

Tharun His memorable brother role in Mani's 'Anjali' brought him a lot of fame. Now he has made his mark in Telugu movies, eventhough his tamil movie 'Enakku 20 Unakku 18' flopped. Still, he is continuing his high ride there.


Will luck favour him in tamil?

Atleast nowadays, the yesteryear cine kids have an option, without losing their dignity. They enter the satellite channels as VJs or emoting artists. Take few of them...

Anju ('Uthirip pookal' 'Azhagiya kannae' cute girl & 'Keladi Kanmani' heroine)
Neena ('Keladi Kanmani' kid & 'Vidukathai' heroine)
Vinothini (Child artiste & Balu Mahendra's 'Vanna Vanna Pookkal' heroine)
Priyadharshini ('Thavani Kanuvgal' to SUN TV Compere role)
Gayathri ('Paasa Malargal' to Sun TV's 'Metti Oli')

Sonia & Tinku (The real life Sis & Bro of 'My Dear KuttiSaathaan'.. Tinku now in Sun TV's 'Kolangal')
Sujitha (Still couldn't forget that frightened eyes of Fazil's 'Poovizhi Vaasalilae', now in Sun TV's 'Kanvarukkaaga')
Ganesh (now in Sun TV's 'Top 10 Songs' programme, after acting as Junior Rajini in few movies like 'Siva')
Suresh (a successful director in Telugu now, after those memorable 'Daddy Daddy oh my Daddy' song in 'Mouna Geethangal' and some 'Junior Rajini' Characters)

Eventhough the trend is not that great, the ambition of becoming big in cineworld, grows well in the budding child artistes' minds. Forget about ambition of becoming a professional, in other fields...... Only in few rare cases, it happen. Otherwise, you can expect today's child artist as a hero or heroine in tomorrow's movie.

The latest in the ring is Kalyani of 'Alli Thantha Vaanam' fame (She equalled Prabhudeva in her steps amazingly, in that 'Chenna Pattanam' song). I am just wondering about the years which are flying like anything. Just yesterday, I remember seeing her as a child artiste in that movie & couple of ads.


Missing that cuteness of 'ATV'

Today, she is the heroine of a new movie (with Pandiarajan's son). Can she survive in this competitive field as heroine??? Keep the fingers crossed.....

There are some more potentital future heroes like K.Bhagyaraj's son Santhanu ('Vettiya Madichu Kattu' boy), P.Vasu's son (remember junior Prabhu in 'Chinna Thambi') etc., Will they go to some other profession or lured by this industry again?

Now, going back to the title of this post. The trend what I had mentioned just above, may make them to say 'From my childhood onwards..., the ambition was to become a big hero / heroine....'. Because, the glamour industry pulls them back in to the ring, more often. (Once tasted, the fame doesn't allow them to go away). But, success rate is a mere luck. Amidst that, preserving the dignity & fame gained as a child artiste, is solely in their hands.

Report Courtesy: Our DBI Team
Photo courtesy: starwelove.com, indolink.com, Indiaglitz.com

If you had missed this related tamil post earlier, pl. visit now. You may like it...
.

28 Comments:

Blogger Kaps said...

Ram,

Not sure whether you mentioned Kutty Padmini in the list. She was a popular child artiste. Majority of these child artistes enter the film world because somebody in their family is involved in the film industry. So the entry is relatively easy for them. It is for them to make a mark and then graduate to become a full fledged actor.

If you don't have any connections in the film industry it is very difficuly to get a break as a child artiste.

I didn't know that Vijay acted as a child artiste.

Very well researched post. Your DBI team (or is it only you?) is really outstanding.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Brought back a lot of old memories.

I have mixed feelings when I watch Heartthrobs of our days (my) doing mother roles today in movies or the small screen. ( How come the heroes still are heroes ??? like Kamal / Rajini).

My favorite actresses Jayapradha and Bhanupriya.! Not sure if Jaya is acting on TV..but I see her in Politics and she is still beautiful (in my eyes). I think Bhanupriya still does a few roles but I am not sure if she acts in TV.

You have some names here whom I had totally forgotten or don't know.

You cover Kollywood quite nicely. Thank you.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Kaps

Eventhough I mentioned Kutti Padmini in my tamil kavidhai (being a child artiste in that famous song 'Kuzhanthaiyum Theivamum gunathaal onru....'), I dropped her name in this post purposely, since I didn't know her movie names as a grown up girl. I remember well that she paired with YGM in some of his serials and films.

FYI, Vijay acted in some Vijaykanth movies (directed by SAS) as junior VK in the story.

DBI team's composition - is a well gaurded secret, KAPS.....

Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Mr.Narayanan

Indian Audience accept male stars as young heroes even if they turn 50. This is contrary to hollywood audience, who support lot of matured lady leads also as main heroines.. take Julia Roberts, Catherina Zeta Jones, Angelina Jolie, Nicolle Kidman etc.,

May be they feel that matured acting as well as glamour comes with age..

In India, once they cross 30, the lady leads can only ask for Elder sister roles (Kousalya in Vijay's Thirumalai) or Mother roles, as I had mentioned in one of my previous posts.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

Now that this post has come up, let me reveal a secret that I have not shared with many in my life (ippo ulagaththukke theriyapporadu :-))

I participated in a Lions Club meet (thru the auspices of my neighbor in Chennai, who took me there) when I was just 12 or 13. I did some mimicry, monoacting etc. imitating such people as Sivaji, MGR, Thengai Srinivasan, Ashokan, Nambiar etc. My brother had also written a very creative spoof on TV ads (like Disco Dermeric for you-know-what :-)) and I had already won the Madras Humour Club's best new talent award that year for that spoof and so acted out that also.

Kottarakkara, who was a film producer (and I guess director) was in that meeting and after the program got over, came over to my parents and asked them if I would like to act in movies. Silly me, thinking that cinema is a big-bad-world-out-there *cryingly* told my parents that I will NEVER go to cinema. They too assured me that nobody is going to drag me kicking and screaming into that industry. Thinking back, I sometimes feel if I missed an opportunity :-) and my brother keeps pulling my leg every now and then saying that I lost the chance to become a celebrity with all its attendant perks. sigh :-)

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Thennavan

Good to see you back..hope you enjoyed your break.

Always, I used to feel that there is a vacuum in the film industry.. :-) :-) :-) :-) Now I have realised, why? We hv lost such a wonderful actor/ scriptwriter/ lyricist/ director (moththathil 'sakala kala vallavar')

I guess whom you would hv replaced now, if you had agreed to that proposal.... Vijay - Ajith - Vikram....???? Lucky, those guys... one competitor is not in the scene now......!!!!! If you were there in the field, what could hv been your nickname? (like 'thala' for Ajith, 'cheeyan' for Vikram...Will it be 'thennavan' or anything else like 'Thenna'?)

BTW...if you make a post in your blog on this (linking to my post :-) :-), antha ragashiyamum ulagaththukkuth theriyum, indha dreamstores patriyum ulagathukku theriyum....ithu eppadi irukku??

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well researched and written post....
do u know that Khushboo was a child artist too...she acted in Hindi films then.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about child artist, for those you who watched 'BLACK' , the little girl who plays the lead character, Michelle as a child is debutante Ayesha Kapoor. Critics raved about her and her talent.
This is what one review I read said,

"But the little girl playing the young Michelle steals many a critical scene from the players. Besides its many other unheard-of virtues, "Black" gives us an extraordinary little actress in Ayesha Kapoor."

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Kavitha

I thought of mentioning Kusbhoo and Roopini (I think 'Komal' in Hindi movies)..who were child artistes in Bollywood. Since tamil audience hv not seen them as kids, I dropped that idea finally.

Friday, June 03, 2005 1:06:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Angelsera

That was an wonderful delivery by Ayesha Kapoor... I was completely moved by her perfomance as I did by Rani & AB's perfomances.

If she gets right opportunities, she will go to places.

Friday, June 03, 2005 1:08:00 AM  
Blogger GS said...

awesome! that is some information!

You seem extremely interested in film industry! I hope you can make good use of this in your life!

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:09:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Gayathri

Ya.. I normally keep close watch on cine news, eventhough I had reduced watching movies nowadays.

But, I would like to keep that for fun part of my life.. and not to earn the bread & butter. If something comes in (any possibility??), I would like to keep that as buffer receipts.... :-) :-) :-)

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:46:00 AM  
Blogger Chakra said...

Well researched post.. didn't know the part abt Vijay... I used to check out VaraMalar every week for cine news.. now I think, this blog wd suffice.

Friday, June 03, 2005 3:00:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Chakra

Are you still on India trip? Or Are you back?

Any more suggestions to make it commercially viable??? :-) :-) :-)

Friday, June 03, 2005 3:05:00 AM  
Blogger வெங்கி / Venki said...

Ram,
This is an excellent post. Like I have said earlier you can write a book on cinema with the title "ராமின் பார்வையில் கோழிவூட்"

Friday, June 03, 2005 5:27:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Venki

thanks for your compliments... That 'ழி' in கோழிவூட் woos me to get into a venture like that..... Let the time come!!! (konjam jaasthiya illa, en ninaippu...:-) :-) :-)

Friday, June 03, 2005 6:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ram,

Well researched post and pora pokkula, onga DBI team Film news anandana replace pannidum pola ;)..btw, Sachu also acted as a child artist...

Friday, June 03, 2005 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Viru

i can understand the loss, from your expressions.... :-( :-( :-9

Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Sundaresan

thanks for visiting... Sacchu.. I remember seeing her as a young heroine in one of that famous car song, shot on Chennai Roads in 60s/70s... I don't remember seeing her as a child artiste. That's a news to me.

Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Suguna said...

I think the way the build themselves up th eladder is very important.A lot goes in the early days of nurturing and building the interest in them.

Saturday, June 04, 2005 6:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... nice compilation...

Saturday, June 04, 2005 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

blogrolled u ...hope its fine...

Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger Chez said...

At this point i'd like to speak abt narayanan's comment. Its really weird to see those old (age) heroes acting as heroes now too. I do not wish to offend Rajini fans, yet, it was kinda funny to watch Abbas comment at Rajini as 'What a man??' in the final fight scenes of Rajini showing off his body in Padayappa.

People like Rajini should switch to more mature roles in the future.

Sunday, June 05, 2005 4:45:00 AM  
Blogger che sara sara said...

Ram me waited 30 mins for ur blog to open...and then comments...my Gaud...my dial up sucks...thats why...i open ur link...waiting waiting..i get bugged...and quit..
somehow managed open ur blog n then comment...
a wholesome information here...me doesnt watch movies...so..

Sunday, June 05, 2005 6:29:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Anand...

it is true.. but the producers want to bet on experienced horses, what to do? Just recall, Amitabh's 'Agnipath'. I believe, at that time he must be 50+. Only in the last couple of years, he is acting for his age.

Soon, Rajini may follow suit.. let us wait and see.

Sunday, June 05, 2005 7:18:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Sophia..

that's Ok.. I will try to manage posting on different issues.. don't get disappointed......

Sunday, June 05, 2005 7:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks, check out this blog:
suntv.blogspot.com.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sujitha n love with her co star srinivas(kanavarkake hero)

Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home