if i

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Perfection - Is it the key to success?

That's what I always used to believe.. and try to implement, being a quality which I inherited from my Dad.

Sometimes, I get exhausted when those meticulous efforts don't yield the desired results. They even make the other people to consider me a bizarre character, at times. This has made me to relax myself 'little bit' and not demanding too much. One of the relieving characters was my wife... (!!)

Several incidents of my friends and relatives made me to go little bit flexible like this. (see, 'little bit')

Two of my ex-collegaues, One Mr.Perfect and another Mr.UnOrganised are good examples. Mr.P never got a break and at the same time our Mr.UO turned out to be too aggressive in climbing up the ladder, inspite of his way of work. Mr.P was branded as if he was capable of doing a particular work alone, which paved for the other to achieve the postion, which he was vying for. Eventhough Mr.P is still satisfied with his approach, he is still languishing in his existing job. At times, he realises that he missed the bus at the appropriate time. Still the life goes on...

The same way I have observed some of my relatives who used to be very smart in their approach towards any work. Whether it is choosing a quality article, bargaining for a better price (than me / you), solving a family issue, training their kids? Sometimes, I used to wonder whether I can reach them in that race. However, I observed that their perfection and smartness have not yielded prosperity or a smooth family life.

So, is there something more than the perfection? Is it all due to the fate & our star? I never used to believe on all those stuff earlier.

After observing couple of these incidents, decided not to be strict with my policy of perfection. Instead the keyword has been changed to 'aggerssion' in achieving my other objects. Eventhough my wife feels relaxed now, she is always cautious since she doesn't know when I will turn bullish in pinpointing the perfection for an approach.

Still, even if my mind decides to relax the rule, my heart is not allowing it.... So, I have restricted the circle of the rule to myself (not for all activities) without extending it to other people.
182nd post

21 Comments:

Blogger Raju said...

Nice post, Ram. It is pretty tough to be perfect too. Your last sentence makes perfect sense. Vere enna solradhu..

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post. I could relate to a lot of what was written.

Over time, I realized many a times perfection is not attainable and is not needed. Where quality is important, time is too. In the race of making things perfect, we should miss the right time and opportunity. And even the term *perfect* is soo subjective. We think it is perfect ... in a situation later on in life, this perfection itself may cause the obstruction.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:05:00 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Gayathri has already covered some portions of what I wanted to say. in this fast paced world perfection may not be desirable as the incremental benefit between a near perfect job and a good job would be negligible.

However some of us are inclined towards perfection and we don't get satisfied if we are not able to achieve perfection in every sphere of life.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:39:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

There is no need to be perfect unless the situation demands....

As the saying goes "better is the enemy of good enough" .....let me give u my real time exp I worked on a research project and I got a result of 95 % accuracy I was interested in improving it a lot further but my prof insisted on moving on with a next phase...in a months time i was able to get few other modules working rather than making one thing perfect and in the end it proved better....

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

and i think mr.p spent most time proving himself to be the best and the company would have decided he/she would be the best for the job...

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

GP.. I hv realised it now..

Gayathri.. agree with your terms 'perfection turning to be obstrction'

Kaps.. even if we are not happy, we still live with it.

ME.. after a long gap, seeing you here. Welcome back. It is true that perfection takes a backseat if we run against time and accomplishment of a task.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post Ram, IMO its all about what you live for, like what matters to you most, the ends or the means... I would put means before the end.

Perfection is a question of ends i presume.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Chakra said...

Thought provoking post Ram.

I feel that one needn't aim for perfection in everything, unless or otherwise the situation demands.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:00:00 AM  
Blogger harry said...

u have been tagged

Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:41:00 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Process and Practice lead to perfection and peace. :)

Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:19:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Thanks Prasanna, for dropping by my blog. I agree with your Ends Vs Means theory.. Good one.

Chakra.. Most of the time, I had felt that all the situations need perfection. That's what has changed now.

Hari.. Once again?? :-( :-(

TJ... Sometimes, process itself go thru some perfection test, isn't it? Implementation of that is the real test for anyone, if the recepient couldn't swallow that easily.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:02:00 AM  
Blogger AF said...

Ram, nice post asusual.
Perfection, it is difficult to attain. Since no one is perfect or nothing can be made upto perfection..that is my opionion.
Life has its flaws/failure and if you need to be perfect, then there is trouble.
I'm not a perfectionist and i don't wish to be one. I have seen people who try to be perfect and have ended up in more trouble.
AF

Thursday, September 08, 2005 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Saravana said...

Never believe in what others say about compromising on perfection Ram. We have to do our duty without expecting reward for our perfection, Its for the happiness of the entire society. If everyone thinks so there wont be suffering in the society. we realize it only when we are in deep troubles. haven't you seen anyone who is helpless in distress.

You will be happy only when you sacrifice all the rewards - success and failure. Take everything with a equal mind.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger tt_giant said...

happens all the time in research. you try to be perfect all the time and acheive maximum efficiency, so you can have another paper. in industries, you should be content if you get even 60% eff.

nice post!

Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

AF.. I agree that it is difficult to attain Perfection. But being a Perfectionist, I found / am finding still, difficult to relax my attitude !!! Still managing, somehow!!!

SK.. Agree with you. Eventhough I don't compromise on perfection, my expectations from others have come down, eventhough I grumble if they don't do it perefectly. As far as possible, I try to be perfect myself.

Deepak.. Certainly few studies and job profile, need more perfection.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Ram,
I wrote this same comment in another blog today.

By being Perfect - There is no room for growth.! So being imperfect is ok.!! I read this somewhere.!!

BTW - Your profile says you are a Libran....I wonder if you are a Virgo-Libra cusp.! Reason - this perfection character is a Virgoan trait.!!

Friday, September 09, 2005 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Mr.narayanan

Welcome bk, after the long break. What you are saying is correct, for the practical scenario!!!!

Rgrdg my trait, it doesn't go well with the defined star traits.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 1:42:00 AM  
Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

Very late, as always :-D - i think i have perfected this art of commenting late :-))

As you pointed out, restricting it to self would be a very good option, but then it might even better if we can accept that, others are others because they are not us :P and hence not expect the same attitude towards everything like our attitude :-)

Very Nice one !

Sunday, September 11, 2005 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

arvind.. no need to think about the delay at all. it happens.

I agree that expecting perfection from others is a difficult thing and need to accept others what they are, eventhough we can expect some improvement always (chumma oru nappaasai thaan).

Sunday, September 11, 2005 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

i think missed a crucial point there - "...though it is not practical, to not expect the same of others."

:P

Monday, September 12, 2005 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

arvind... got it.

Monday, September 12, 2005 3:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home