if i

Sunday, October 30, 2005

My Maiden attempt...

It was an interesting Deepavali nite, out of those which I had attended so far.

Reason.. my maiden attempt... (of what??)

Yesterday's Deepavali nite was organised in a good gathering, the purpose of which was to extract the talents of adults and also to provide ultimate fun to the audience.

The evening started with Arattai Arangam [Separate post on this, will follow], followed by a music programme delivered by a group of NUS/NTU students. The music programme was combined with a hilarious 'Super Jodi' event, in between the songs. This fusion was planned, just to tie the audience to their seats thru out those 3.5 hours. The idea was perfect.. eventhough during the later part, people started fizzling out for their dinner.

And why was it memorable? We (myself/my wife) were also part of that 'SJ' programme.

Eventhough the participants would have come prepared [like us :0) :0)] with some known questions about their spouse's likes/dislikes, 100% of the questions were not on that basis. More questions were on situational ones..... and I need to appreciate the persons who were behind those questions. A set of 5 printed questions were given to each partner (different set). Later, the same questions were fielded to the spouse to check the correctness.

Some interesting questions which we goofed up were:

The shampoo which my wife uses regularly??? I mentioned a body foam's name instead of a Shampoo. Didn't get the question correctly. My wife's look... com'n, how can you miss it?
The job which my wife does for me, even if she doesn't like to do??? I didn't remember forcing her for anything. So, I had mentioned that it was a difficult Q to answer. My partner's answer was different, which was true as well. "Watching a movie on the first day with me, even if she doesn't like to do it". [it struck me then, that I missed to see 'Majaa's first show today in Singapore]
Best friend of my wife, whom I like???? Since she has many, some of whom were present there in the audience, it was difficult for me to name one. What she had written down in the sheet, didn't match with what I said.....

The other notable questions where we scored were:

- The issue on which I got angry recently, with my wife???
- The type of Jewellery, which my wife likes..?
- Whether I will buy a dress for her, if she had not accepted my earlier selections? Or will I take her along with me always??
- Will my wife be supportive for my brother / sister's marriage/career advancements??

The couples were also expected to perform something in addition, to score bonus points. Eventhough most of them preferred to act for a 'Dumb Charades' question, one couple preferred dancing for a MGR song and one preferred for a small skit.

Our preference was a Song.

Believe me guys, for the first time I was singing on the stage. So, I cautioned the audience and asked them to ensure that they will be present even after those 3 minutes.... And the song which we selected (& practised for the last couple of days) was this fantastic number from 'Ghajini'.

சுட்டும் விழி சுடரே, சுட்டும் விழி சுடரே
என் உலகம் உன்னைச் சுற்றுதே
சட்டைப் பையில் உன் படம், தொட்டுத் தொட்டு உரச
என் இதயம் பற்றிக் கொள்ளுதே

உன் விழியில் விழுந்தேன், விண்வெளியில் பறந்தேன்
கண் விழித்து சொப்பனம் கண்டேன்
உன்னாலே, கண் விழித்து சொப்பனம் கண்டேன்

மெல்லினம் குரலில் கண்டேன்,வல்லினம் விழியில் கண்டேன்
இடையினம் தேடி இல்லை என்றேன்

தூக்கத்தில் உளறக் கொண்டேன், தூறலில் விரும்பி நின்றேன்
தும்மல் வந்தால் உன் நினைவைக் கொண்டேன்

கருப்பு வெள்ளை பூக்கள் உண்டா?, உன் கண்ணில் நான் கண்டேன்
உன் கண்கள், வண்டை உண்ணும் பூக்கள் என்பேன்
உன் கண்கள், வண்டை உண்ணும் பூக்கள் என்பேன்

மரங்கொத்தி பறவை ஒன்று, மனங்கொத்தி போன தென்று
உடல் முதல் உயிர் வரை தந்தேன்

தீ இன்றி திரியும் இன்றி, தேகங்கள் எரியும் என்று
இன்று தானே நானும் கண்டு கொண்டேன்

மழை அழகா? வெயில் அழகா? கொஞ்சும் போது மழை அழகு
கண்ணா நீ, கோபப் பட்டால் வெயில் அழகு
கண்ணா நீ, கோபப் பட்டால் வெயில் அழகு

Since this was the first time for me, it seems I had a tightened face on the stage (as commented by our friends). My wife didn't bother much, since she had done it couple of times earlier.

This adventure had helped us to score the required bonus points. With that help, we got the "Second best SJ" title. It was good, since we didn't go there with any expectations. My only worry earlier, was not to goof up during the song. Luckily, I didn't..... Eventhough my wife scored better than me in terms of modulation and expressions, I had a good start today [presumably!!!].
218th post

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Thats nice to hear Ram. You impress me. Keep it going Sir.

Sunday, October 30, 2005 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

yayyyy congrats :) on winning n ur first stage performance ;p

shampoo question vechi kohlapata undakitangehla ;p

btw happy Deepavalli to you and your family ;)

Sunday, October 30, 2005 6:19:00 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Wow!! Vaazhthukkal Ram for the Win!
Neengalum Audio blog vilayattu aarambichudunga :)

Singapore petra inbam peruga ivvayagam.!!

Sunday, October 30, 2005 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

It was a 'pleasure' listening to your voice. Keep 'em coming.
Deepavali has begun on a bright note for you.
Are you planning any treat for the cheering squad that supported your team?

Sunday, October 30, 2005 7:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice :-) as long as you had a good time everything else is cool. Happy Diwali to you and your family.

Sunday, October 30, 2005 8:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ram, Congrats for winning the SJ prize and for your debut singing perf on stage! Happy Deepavali to you and your family!

Sunday, October 30, 2005 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger JVC said...

Ram, why dont you put that song in an audio post? Would love hearing that.Wishing you and your family a very Happy Diwali.

Sunday, October 30, 2005 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

happy diwali to you and your family ram. next year, ella answerum mug adichchuttu ponga.. win pannidalam.

:)

Sunday, October 30, 2005 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Woodooz said...

RAM,

Kalakkureenga... Maybe you should post an audio blog of your Suttum Vizhi Sudarey song... What say ?

Naangalum kekurom neenga yepadi paadineenganu...

And congrats on the second prize :o)

Sunday, October 30, 2005 10:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Ram..thats wonderful.. Congrats on your performance..

When this program was shown in SunTV during its first years, I had the thought of 'goiing prepared' if given/got a chance..

Many many happy deepavali wishes to you and ur family..!!

Monday, October 31, 2005 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

congrats ram, seekarama audio blog start pannungo,

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:36:00 AM  
Blogger Cogito said...

ungal paatai ketka ododi vandha .....it wud have been great had u audioblogged it. Anyway, congrats for winning the second prize!

Monday, October 31, 2005 1:40:00 AM  
Blogger caleb said...

hey!
have a smashing good deepavali with your family...you should really make a recording of your song and post it up!

cheers
caleb

Monday, October 31, 2005 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Chakra said...

kalakunga Ram.

Congrats to you & your Mrs,.

Monday, October 31, 2005 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Ram
Happy Diwali to you and ur family.
audio blog postpanunga

Monday, October 31, 2005 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Aatma said...

Happy Diwali to u and you'r family and congrats on becoming the 2nd SJ

Monday, October 31, 2005 3:14:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

SJ'va ;) :-?

oru nimisham, namma Surya pathi dhan solreengalo nu nenachen ;)

Looks like you had loadsa fun :-) good good !! :)

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 7:05:00 PM  
Blogger Siddharth said...

interesting this best jodi potti....i will make sure i know what shampoo my wife uses once i get married..he,he

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

thanks guys...

audio blog?? try pannanunum...

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 9:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home