if i

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Survey time...

I was explaining something to my son on a particular topic, for it was a fruitful chatting. At that time, there was a knock on the front door... and somebody was outside with a Survey form. The survey, which was on the usage of Cable tv and Broadband services of the local providers, went on for few minutes. In the meantime, I got a prompt from my better-half that it was getting late, to wrap up the work with my son. Still I continued, till the completion of the survey.

It used to happen sometimes over phone as well. Last month, it so happened that a survey call which started with "5min only" guarantee, extended upto 15 minutes with nearly 50 questions. By the end of that call, my energy level had dried up fully. Even then, I had a satisfaction.

What's the need to undergo that?

Because, I could understand their job nature.. I heard some of them do it as a part time job for specific companies like this. I had experienced it once, personally.... :-)

During my college days in Madurai, our professor introduced a Marketing guy (from Madras), who was there to do a survey among the teenagers on Ice cream trends. The agenda was like this.. He gave 20 survey forms to each one of us and asked us to visit different residential colonies targetting equal no. of boys and girls. Each successful / genuinely (!!) completed form carried a "X" amount as a reward. Since, it was an interesting assignment earning money for us, we accepted it gladly.

But it was not that easy, as we thought.


In certain houses the Moms (of teen girls) didn't entertain us.. we were stopped just near the doorsteps and the girls replied to our survey questions from the half-closed doors. Some people didn't entertain us completely, due to lack of time.

I did visit some of my friends' houses to fill up the survey forms thru their sisters. That was also tricky, since I had never spoken to them freely earlier. Somehow, I managed. Few of my friends gathered the results in front of girls' schools and colleges. [the reason, why I am talking about the girls alone, is that we found it trickier only there]

As usual, to complete the forms quickly, few in our friends' circle filled in the Survey forms on their own, without even visiting anyone's house. ['aasai'... to earn quickly]. That Madras guy caught them red-handed [thru cross-verifying] and refused to accept those survey forms, threatening to forfeit all they had earned so far. That approach of our friends, got amended immediately.

By the end of two days, I was so happy to earn my first pocket money - by exploiting my own(!!) abilities....

That experience, resulted in a decision. Not to refuse answering any surveys, unless it becomes too personal or due to lack of spare time.
222nd post

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kalakkunga Ram. Irunthaalum Naalu ponnunga kitta poi survey eduththa vishayaththa neenga ivlo decenta etho enjoy pannama seytha mathiri ezhutharathellam konjam over.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger Venky Krishnamoorthy said...

Ram,While I was in college, I used to work on new years day to earn some pocket money. For a days work, you can earn anywhere from 200Rs to over 1000Rs depending on how much you were able to sell etc. If you see educated / college going youngsters on new years day in vivek&co or jainsons&co...
I relate to your post very much.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

enna porumai, somehow i dont have the patience to answer such questions, basically becoz i dont like giving my personal details, avanukku edukku anda details ellam? disclosin it to any co is something i dont like. even my cell phone no is unregistered (not under my name and address) adunalaya i dont answer these syrveys

Sunday, November 06, 2005 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

Lol at prasannas comment ;p

we wouldnt have let them in - coz there used to be a trend for robbers to use this tactic to get into the house during the day

Sunday, November 06, 2005 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Prasanna :-) :-) That's a different feel of achievement... !!!!

Venky.. nowadays, I belive there are more opportunities for the youngsters, which was not widespread couple of years back.

Vatsan.. depends on the call & our free time as well.. if we are really bored, we may get ourselves entertained, isn't it..without divulging more personal info.

Visithra.. that happens. U r right. that's the reality.

Monday, November 07, 2005 1:32:00 AM  
Blogger Gladtomeetin said...

Good article :-)) Surveys are good and it depends on wat topic is it taken and who are involved in it
;-))

Monday, November 07, 2005 2:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just not have the patience to go through it...will most certainly stop somewhere in between..

Cheers :-)

Monday, November 07, 2005 3:19:00 AM  
Blogger Vinesh said...

I would feel this way about customer support executives. After I worked in a call center myself, the way I spoke to customer support guys of different companies drastically changed.

Same blood theory I think :-)

Monday, November 07, 2005 5:22:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

GTMI.. U r right.. depending on the type of survey, we may volunteer ourselves :0) :0)

Vidya.. I don't think they would like to stop after you start answering.. Isn't it? Probably, we could cut off initially,if we are not inclined...

Vinesh.. Sometimes, we feel for those people, only after practically experiencing "stepping into their shoes"... 100% agree. But sometimes, some people won't even do that, eventhough they would have expereinced /suffered these stuff already.

Monday, November 07, 2005 7:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niraiya porumai venum Ram, to answer those long survey questions.. but I appreciate your spending time for them..

Monday, November 07, 2005 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Neriya proumai ungalukk veraenna solla

Monday, November 07, 2005 8:49:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Raju / Ganesh.. Sometimes patience comes in, if you just give in for some purpose, isn't it? that's how i see this...

Monday, November 07, 2005 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Siddharth said...

nice of u 2 take the effort 2 answer the survey honestly...very few ppl take it seriously even if they answer the questions..i once answered a survey abt child abuse...nice pic..where did u get it?

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:08:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Siddharth.. the pic is from MS clip art collections.. has done some editing!!!

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home