if i

Friday, December 23, 2005

Those who carried me...!!!!

"....." wheeler
Eventhough the Jet Airlines' services seemed to be OK, I couldn't fit myself in those economy class seat gaps comfortably...

Reason.. my long legs, as I mentioned in one of my earlier tag posts. Somehow, I managed those 5 hours with a book ("............" more on this later) which I bought in Changi Airport before departure.

4 Wheeler
My brother-in-law was in the Airport to pick me up. It took an hour's drive to Navi Mumbai. I have always heard about the traffic in Mumbai. But I have never experienced to this extent....

Eventhough, I am not comfortable with Indian driving these days (after my Singapore experience), my B-I-L drove thru the traffic with ease.... cutting the traffic in the same way as the auto drivers did. First day, I couldn't swallow the experience.... eventhough I was not the driver. Now I am OK with whoever driving the vehicle.

3 Wheeler
The surprising element is the Auto Charges, which I have paid so far. Compared to Chennai, we are finding this place more straight forward. I am not sure if Chennai Auto drivers are charging what is appearing on the meter. ('suudu' illaama..)

Here, we were charged 11Rs. per KM, while the meters were showing the no. of KMs driven by them... precisely, as 7.40 km etc., If they don't expect any "return passenger" from the destination, they tell us upfront that we will be charged with a 'published table' rate for the KMs driven.. which is 150% of the original rate. Eventhough, it sounded more or like Chennai way of charging, I still found them better to handle... :-) :-)

Multi Wheeler
I am commuting currently within Navi Mumbai area. So, there are no "crowd issues" in the trains upto Vashi. Hopefully next week, I may undergo the experience of visiting (old) Mumbai too... Since my wife arrived in Mumbai, 2 weeks earlier than me, she had briefed me about her experience in the crowded trains (even if it is ladies compartment) particularly in junctions like Kurla, Dadar, etc., I am scared already..... :-( :-(

Next likely post
Expect soon......... some more on my (completed) trips to, Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani (where Aamir Khan & Kiran Rao are hosting their wedding party next week)
242nd post

15 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

Autos and Taxis are definitely better in Mumbai than in Chennai.

Waiting for all your Mumbai updates.

Friday, December 23, 2005 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

Mumbai Express arrived in Mumbai :-)

Friday, December 23, 2005 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Nice to see that you are doing fine in Bombay.

I agree with your thoughts about the auto drivers. MHO..the chennai auto drivers are the worst among the group. Can help it.!! Have to live with it.

Watch out for pickpockets in those trains.!! and get ready to be squeezed out.!

Have a nice time Ram.!!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger Cogito said...

Enjoy Ram ! Btw, were you invited for the Khan wedding ? :-)

Saturday, December 24, 2005 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ram,Narayan : HA HA HA ! You should check out the auto-drivers in Coimbatore before declaring an open season on the Chennai baashaas.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Siddharth said...

how can u leave out katril varum getame from the ten best songs of the year?!?

Sunday, December 25, 2005 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Shankar & Parvathy said...

Hi Ram and other visitors to Ram's blog, I’m participating in the 'CAN Conquer CANcer' blog contest initiated by Connexions. I'd be privileged if you could drop in and leave your annotations in my post. In this way, I'd also be promoting a good cause in my own way. You can reach the post @ http://mindtreads.blogspot.com/2005/12/get-up_29.html. Tx,

Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:59:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Happy New Year Ram

Friday, December 30, 2005 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger gP said...

Happy New Year. May god bless you and your family. May all your wishes come true this new year.

Friday, December 30, 2005 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

Have a nice stay in Mumbai..

Wishing You and Your Family a New Year thats Filled with all the Excitement of Living Each day to the fullest

Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:45:00 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Ram,
Wish you a very happy and prosperous new year!!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Raju said...

Wish you a very happy and wonderful new year, Ram!!!

Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you a Happy New Year full of good health, cheer and fun in 2006, Ram!

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:12:00 AM  
Blogger mitr_bayarea said...

Ram,

Nice to hear about your Mumbai road/traffic experiences. Looking forward to reading more on Aamir's reception with some snaps.

Wish you and your family Happy New Year 2006.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:53:00 PM  
Blogger Anu said...

ha ha.. good post

When I came to Bangalore for the first time, I was surprised to see that the auto drivers are very straight-forward. Namma Chennai autodriverskum koodiya seekiram jaanodayam vandha evvalo nalla irukkum :)

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home