if i

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Siriththu Vaazha Vendum

.

The above was the starting line of a famous song in MGR's 'Ullagam Sutrum Vaaliban'. (remember 'chikku mangu chikku mangu chikku paappaa..."). That is 100% true. Definitely laughing releases our stress levels to a great extent. There is another great tamil proverb "Vaai vittuch chirithaal nooi vittup pokum" which implies driving away the dieseases / agonies with the loud enjoyable laugh. How far we follow that?


Eventhough it is easy to enjoy and laugh, it is difficult to make others laugh. Not everybody can do it. Sometimes, I try to create a humourous atmosphere, which may not even evoke a smile. Considering this, we need to appreciate the technicians (the script / dialogue writers) who create hilarious situations in movies. Charlie Chaplin did it even without dialogues, which Kamal tried in 'Pesum Padum' and succeeded.


For a long time, it's the common trend to add bits of comedy scenes as an essential ingredient in most of our Indian movies (now, even if the character is unrelated to the story). If that itself is entertaining, consider the wholesome entertainment with 70-90% of hilarious script. I had enjoyed several clean(!!) comedy movies. I didn't include Comedy movies in my last week's 'My best 10 Tamil movies', without any particular reason. Somehow, I thought of making a post separately. So, here comes my list. This is what I perceive as 10 great comedies - complete entertainment without much silly moments.

Adutha Veetu Penn - A Good comedy of the old generation with TR.ramachandran, Thangavelu and a lot more.

Arivaali - A comedy riot from the versatile Sivaji, Bhanumathi, Thangavelu & Muthulakshmi. Who can forget that 'Chappathi making' sequence by Muthulakshmi, in which she repeatedly says 'Athaan thaan theriyume' and finally ends with "Athaane theriyathu'. Even now, it is a worthy watch.


Bhama Vijayam - No one can beat Baalayya in that Dad's role. The assortment was a complete one and I had watched this drama couple of times. Nice one from K.Balachander.

Veetukku Veedu - An entertaining drama from Jaisankar, Muthuraman, Nagesh, Lakshmi. If I am not wrong, this drama was from K.B. Pl.correct me, if I am wrong. This was copied "ditto" lateron to a new movie few years back (With Ramki & Vivek.. What's the name??? hmmm...).

Kaathalikka Neramillai - Nagesh & Baalayya stole the show completely in this Romantic comedy. Do you want to see the 'story telling sequence', immediately? It is a worth watch, even now.

Mazhalai Pattalam - Does anyone remember this comedy of Vishnuvardhan & Sumitra? I enjoyed it a lot.

Thillu Mullu - Amol Palekar's role in "Gol Maal" was superbly carried out by our Rajini in this wholesome entertainer. (nicely accompanied by 'Thengai' Srinivasan and Viji, sister of actress Saritha)


Micheal Madana Kama Rajan - As Arvind had mentioned that he has watched it over 100 times, it is a worthy watch. It was an absolute comedy riot (particulary 'Kameswaran' with Oorvasi), leaving apart the 'dappa' set in the climax.

Avvai Shanmugi - Superb remake of 'Mrs.Doubtfire'. A good combination of actors with Kamal, Manivannan, Delhi Ganesh, Nagesh, Naasar and even Gemini Ganesan. 100% family entertainer.


Sathi Leelavathi - No one can deliver those "kovai" slangs other than Kamal & Sarala in this laugh riot. The climax deliveres by Kalpana as well, were enjoyable.


There are so many other comedy movies which I had enjoyed, which were not shortlisted in the above list. I am listing down those, which I identified already...


Anubavi Raja Anubavi (Nagesh in dual role), Kalyanam Panniyum Brahmachari (Sivaji-TRR), Moondru Theivangkal (Sivaji, Muthuraman, Nagesh), Kaase Thaan Kadavulada (Nagesh, 'thengai'...), Sabaash Meena, Sabapathy (TRR), Indru Poi Naalai Vaa (Bhagyaraj), Manal kayiru (Visu), Aan Paavam (Pandiyarajan), My Dear Marthandan (Goundamani in 'Coming to America' copy), Nadigan (Satyaraj in hindi 'Bramachari' ulta), Magalir Mattum (Oorvasi), Kaalam Maari Pocchu (Vadivelu), Kamal in Simla Special (with SV.Sekar), Thenaali, Panchathanthiram and Rajini in Thambikku Endha Ooru, Raajadhi Raaja, Guru Sishyan, Mannan, Muthu.

Your views....
138th post

36 Comments:

Blogger வெங்கி / Venki said...

Rams, Hahaha I am the first one to comment.

I loved most of those movies you have mentioned.
Thillu Mullu
Micheal Madana Kama Rajan
Avvai Shanmugi
Sathi Leelavathi

ivvaLavaiyum sonna niingka PKS sai vittutiingkalea....

Thursday, July 07, 2005 3:56:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Venkat, for me.. PKS & Vasool raja were not great comedies. That's why I didn't even shortlist them.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 4:31:00 PM  
Blogger KRTY said...

Sabaash Meena and Sabapathy... i will sit and watch it anytime.. Kadhalikka naeramillai and Bama Vijayam are equally good,.

By the way you missed "all Vijayakanth movies".. they are high comedies

Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:31:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

that was an awesome list....

i think i haven't watched arivali, Mazhalai Pattalam, Sabaash Meena, My Dear Marthandan, Kaalam Maari Pocchu...

Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would put kase than kadavulada in on eo fmy favourite....have watched it somany times and still find it hilarious

Thuglak

Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Galatta kalyanam,
ooty varai uravu,
Netrikkan...
and the list goes on & on ;-)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 6:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All Nagesh comedies, I love the one where he perinially forgets where or who he is in Poojaikku Vandha Malar -though it wasnt a comedy movie.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger Munimma said...

I remember seeing some excerpts from Nawab Narkali (Nagesh?) and found it quite funny. Tried getting the vcd, but haven't found it yet. Anyone remember that?

Chandrababu in one, where he acts like an anglo woman

MMKR tops my list too, along with Nadigan and Tenaali. Kathanayagan (remake though) was quite funny. Then there was that crass comedy, Prashant dressed as a woman, some telugu remake. I saw the telugu version first, seemed funnier.

Tenkasipatnam had its moments too.

Kanni Raasi, manal kayaru, indru poi naalai vaa (hindi teacher esp), stand out in my memory.

Then those unintentionally funny ones like Ranjan's movies - "ava oothina, iva varuva", santha sakku bai (anybody remember this?)

I can write a thesis on this topic :-)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger GS said...

Sathi Leelavathi ... definitely my all time favourite too! I can see this movie even a 100 times!

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Pavals said...

gud list..
how abt satyaraj/goundamani combbo's Maamanmagal, thaaimaaman, pudhumanidhan, et al.

awaiting for ur next top 10 'thriller' & 'romance' picks :-)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice list. But Muthu, Mannan are not full length comedy movies like the others in this post

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good list indeed. Most of my favourites are there.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Most of these movies are ideal movies for our VCD / DVD collection. Kadhalikka Neramillai & MMKR are my favourites.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Siddharth said...

ram most of the movies u mentioned would b on my list too...i would also include-veera & dum,dum,dum

Friday, July 08, 2005 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Speech is Golden said...

Baama Vijayam, Kaathalikka Neramillai and MMKR were awesome. Good list. A couple of more Shivaji movies - like Galatta Kalyaanam and I forget the name - Shivaji in triple action with one being absent minded scientist (elder brother), the hero and the other being rowdy. Rajini as the kleptomaniac in the KB musical (again I forgot the name) was great.

Perhaps Rajini's greatest comedy is 'Baadsha'. Can't tell u how much the Australians 'liked' it.

NSK is missing in the list. Poor guy!

Friday, July 08, 2005 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Balaji said...

super list ramc. though movies u mentioned in your 'extended' list like 'kaase thaan kadavulada', 'aanpaavam' would probably make it to my top 10 :)

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice list, Ram..

one movie I loved a lot was "Yaar Paiyan". Remember the curly-haired boy answering "maaganam porunthiya Srimaaaan SundarRajan"..

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:25:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Keerthi.. Vijaykanth movies.. I can make another post on all his comedies(!!). Generally, I refrain from posting anything negatively on any person.. So,I may not do it immediately, unless the situation warrants.

ME.. don't miss out Arivaali & Kaalam Mari Pocchu (this one, if you like 'kuzhaiyadi kudimipudi')

thuglak..welcome back. 'kaase thaan kaduvaluda'.. I agree. Wonderful comedy.

Cipher.. you mean 'Netrikann'...!!! anyhow, you have seen it only few days back. so, you may remember the scenes very well.

Divya.. thanks for commenting. I believe this is the first time. 'poojaiku vanda malar' is a serious family drama, if I am not wrong. Still you can always remember Nagesh for all his roles.

Munimma.. in addtion to your nawab narkali, santha sakubai, you can add even 'mugamadhu bin tuklak' by Cho..(am I right with the movie name?)

Raasaa..I may not consider 'pudhu manithan' as a full length comedy. Maamanmagal was better than the 'thaimaman'. U r right. About the second line, yes.. they are on the cards.. Expect them in the next few days.

Gayathri.. if I am forced to watch 100 times, I may prefer MMKR, like Arvind.

B A L A J I.. they may not be full length comedies, I agree.

JVC.. thanks

Kaps.. Are you starting the collection? Pl.let me know.. I will take few from you (OoCccc thaan!!!). Why few? i can grab all...

Siddharth..Veera OK. But, Dum Dum Dum is more of a romantic movie. Still Vivek's comedy was an enjoyable one there.

RK.Ram.. I don't remember that movie name with Shivaji in triple role. But, are you referring to 'Ninaithale Inikkum' of Rajini as a comedy movie? NSK's comedies were more of social conscious one and I didn't get the opportuntiy to remember them. (eventhough watched in DD in my younger days)

Balaji.. 'Aan paavam' was a hilarious one. I accept. Still I can remember Pandiarajan's advice to that unknown bank manager while reversing the car... ha ha ha....'idikkala, idikkala, idikkala.. ippo idichchuruchu'

GP.. honestly, I don't remember that movie. I could recollect another movie on kids shot in Mahabalipuram.. Is it 'Vaa Raja Vaa"? Will you classify that as a comedy?

Friday, July 08, 2005 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger AF said...

Nice short list. My all time favorites are Thillu Mullu and Micheal Madana Kama Rajan.

Friday, July 08, 2005 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

AF..thanks.. I agree with ur comments. Still, MMKR scores over TM.

Friday, July 08, 2005 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Jaganlee .. I agree. But exploiting them properly is what our directors are supposed to do.

Friday, July 08, 2005 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Ram,
People are talking about Smiling all together!.
Even Sujatha has written in Vikatan about Sirippu today.!

By the way, did you miss Kadhala..kadhala.!

And my friend...you missed Mumbai express.!! I laughed out loud several scenes.! Or was that only me?

A lot of the movies which you mentioned are perfect, Manal Kayuru is one of my favorite movies. I wish I can get a DVD.!

Friday, July 08, 2005 4:59:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Mr.Narayanan

I thought 'kadhala kadhala' had too much of dramatical comedy and reg. 'ME' I never had a chance to watch completely. That's why I didn't include them as I excluded couple of his other comedies like PKS, VR MBBS etc.,

In this mela, I missed out 'Oru Pullankuzhal Aduppu Oothukirathu' of Mouli.... That was another good one.

Friday, July 08, 2005 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

ram glad to c the one of the most underrated comedies in ur list, namely sabapathy, generally i like ur list, have seen most of them, good movies, kadlikka neramaillai, mmkr bamavijayam, sathi leelavathy, avvai shanmughi, tillu mullu, mazhalai pattlam r my favourites.
tody sadly no one makes full and full comedy movies, except crazy mohan and kamal, comedy has been reduced to being value addition to movies.

lets hope S Ve shekar, Crazy, Kamal, KB, Mouli, Rajini and all decide to come bck to comdy and make a comedy film

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:59:00 PM  
Blogger Woodooz said...

Ram,

Karagaatkaarana vittuteengaley...

One vaazapazam, two crankies... and loads and loads of laughter... That remains to be my fave comedy sequence in any movie ever... And the movie as a whole had lotsa reasons for us to laugh...

You had mentioned Thillu Mullu, in the same lines, Thalaivar had done Veera too... I heard somewhere the Temple scene in this movie was received a "Once more" in most theatres.

Nevertheless, good choice of movies. I like all the movies that you have mentioned. Enna sudden dose of comedy ? Yethaavathu sogamaa vaazhkaila ?

I also feel the entire Nagesh-Balachander movies were comically good. To cite a few, Server Sundaram, Yethirneechal.

-Somu.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Munimma said...

Ram.C. I remember Mouli's flute movie. That was extremely funny, at least when I watched it. Mouli is another of those smart comedians.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 1:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I thought alone which movies made my stomach pain with laughs, I remembered two Nagesh movies.. The first is the unforgettable "madras to Pondichery".. Have u seen it? The Nagesh-Karunanidhi comedy involving the snake was among the best comedy scenes ever.. Another one was "Saadhu Mirandaal".. the climax scene in the taxi with Nagesh and Manorama was really terrific.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

Ram,

Guess i missed the train. First thanks for linking to my calling MMKR the best ever.

It is worth every single second. Not a single frame moves without moving the movie forward !...AWESOME !

Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger museful said...

mentioned some of my favs...avai shanmugi, sathileelavathi....even though not seen many old movies......really loved bhama vijayam and kadhilika neram ilai!!!

Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger expertdabbler said...

OMG,

sooper post ram. endha nalla comedy padamum vitta madiri theriyalai. shows your extensive research and attention to detail.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Vatsan... too many cooks may spoil the food. that's what I think...(this is for your last wish!!!)

Somu.. comediyum vazhkkaiyila oru paguthi thanee.. sogam ellam illai..!!!

Munimma.. yes, I agree.

GP..'Saadhu Mirandal' was a serious movie,isn't it?
(M to P - I hvn't seen yet!!!)


ARvind / Sharana / PK - thanks.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Speech is Golden said...

Eureka!!! I found the name of the Shivaji movie - Balle Pandiya!

Who can forget the Maama...nee maapillai song.

Monday, July 11, 2005 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

RKRam...

Unga blogla cinema pathi pesa mattenu solitta matha edathila puunthu vilayadreenga... nadathunga.. atleast, athu pannina thaan en blog pozhaikkum...

Monday, July 11, 2005 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Suganya said...

I landed here thru a google search. I am happy to find that somebody with my own tastes. And its poori not Chapati that she ventures to make in arivaali. I was wondering you anyplace I can find these DVDs/CDs?

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ullathai Allitha...my fav - "tempo ellam vechu kadathirukaangalam pa"...koundamani-karthik combo the best ever...

Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Letterhead printing said...

Great thing nice update. cheap postcards and appointment cards Good updation.

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home