if i

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Is it the final tag? Ok, Let us go...

.
There were so many tags going around the blogworld for the last one month. I finished all my earlier tags on Books, Tamil Film Music & Personal one. Now this is the last one (for the moment!!!) on the best 10 Tamil Films which I have seen - as I was tagged this time by Munimma.

Eventhough, I try to restrict myself to only one Cine post every week, I have been tagged as Cine Crazy guy.. even my wife does it. Atleast, I don't talk that much on movies when my wife is around. I try to show my prowess on Economics, Business, Positive thoughts when she / few other persons are around. Still, my mind tries to connect any particular incident to a scene from a movie. That's the extent of my obsession to this alluring topic.

So, let us go into my list...

Mullum Malarum - Mahendran brought out a different Rajini in this excellent movie. If I am not wrong, this was a short story written by Su.Samuthiram (pl.correct me, if I am wrong) and the screen play was developed beautifully on that script. What an wonderful casting apart from Rajini - Shobha, 'Padabat' Jeyalakshmi, Sarathbabu... I love this.

Moondram Pirai - An award winning performance by Kamal, which was narrowly missed by Sridevi for this movie. A memorable one by the entire team of BaluMahendra, Kannadasan, Ilayaraja. Still couldn't forget the last station scene. Nice portrayal by Kamal.

Muthal Mariyadhai - The best Sivaji movie, I ever liked. Subdued performance by the thespian, duly matched with Radha, Vadivukkarasi and so many others - were well brought out by BharathiRaja. One of the best mesmerising work of Ilayaraja. Deserves the national award it got.
.
Sindhu Bhairavi - The best list won't be complete without KB. A classic movie from this veteran, which is watchable even after few decades. It is an apt movie for 'chinna kuyil' Chitra for getting a national award. I liked Suhasini's role very much, which had been etched out nicely.
.
Vedham Pudhithu - Good subject, nicely handled by BharathiRaja. Superb performance by Amala and Satyaraj had lifted the movie to a great extent. This movie's script (by Kannan) deserves the national award, which it got. We need to wait and see if Kannan can bring out his skills in his upcoming 'Amirtham' (Navya nair).

Mouna Raagam - Nobody could have brought out the husband and wife relationship earlier, as Mani did in this movie. A nice blend of friendship and love between the couple. No words to tell about PC.Sriram's work here. This is the one movie, in which I would appreciate Mohan for exploiting his skills without overdoing it.
.
Keladi Kanmani - A surprise hit by Vasanth brought out the versatile acting skills of SPB beautifully. I became a fan of SPB's acting skills then onwards. Even in the subsequent average/flops like Kaadhalan, Ullaasam I liked his characters.
.
Mahanadhi - Striking movie by Kamal. I couldn't come out of this movie for two days. No words to describe his acting skills. One of the realistic movies of Kamal.

Porkaalam - Cheran's superb screenplay/message/direction in this movie - brought out a different genre of directors in Kodambakkam. The importance of life to disabled people was brought out well by Murali. Eventhough, the movie had some sad twists, Cheran ended it with a positive approach. (One of the positive thing about Cheran)

Azhagi - Thankar Bachchan's first directorial venture had raised the eyebrows of everyone. A sensitive subject, nicely handled by the director and performed in a fanatastic way by Parthipan & Nandita Das. A poetic film.
.
Actually, listing down 10 is a very difficult task for me..... Atleast, I should have been given a chance to list down 50 - since I had covered so many movies from my childhood. I can mention some more tamil movies, which are still memorable to me, here -
.
Aaril irundhu Arupadhu Varai, Azhiyatha Kolangkal, Poove Poo Chooda Vaa, Mana Kanakku (RC.Sakthi), Naayagan, Poo Vizhi Vasalilae (Fazil), Veedu, Anjali, Samsaram athu Minsaram, Chinna Gounder, Kizhakku Vaasal, Roja, Bombay, Indian, Love Today, Thulli Thirintha Kalam, Kaadhaluku Mariyadhai, Vetri kodi kattu, Kannedhire Thondrinaal, Sethu, Alai Payuthe, Anbe Sivam, Pithamagan, Autograph, Kaadhal..... and it will go on. Let me stop here...

As many comments to my earlier E-nniyan post, had forbidden the tagging phenomena - I am little bit hesitant to tag further. Still I feel that the following may not take it offensive, if I tag them.... I hope, they love it too. I hope the tagging fever will come to end soon.

Let them have the discretion to continue..... Enjoy the weekend....
.
131st post

25 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

ram, awesome list as expected. except for 'azhagi' and 'porkaalam' i absolutely love all the movies in there too... a little sad to not find 'naayagan' on the list :)

Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Balaji... Naayagan!!! I agree it is a great one. But, I thought 'Mahanadhi' was better than that, in my perception. If I was given a chance to list 50 (!!), I would have included it definitely. Hope you observed it in my additional list.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Mullum Malarum - Mouna Raagam

My all time favorites.!

Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Oops and Mahanadhi - I can take care of the water problems in chennai when I watch that movie..!! ( Tears ..Tears) So touching.!!!

Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:01:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

super list ram, inga irukkara ella padamum super, mullom maluram deserves to be here ispite of rajini haters, every1 ll enjoy his movies but wont appreciate his acting.
yeangaio ketta koral, vedam pudidhau is also brilliant
nayakan is good no doubt, but kamal is inspired by tony montana from scarface and don vito from godfather, adhu nala than adu inga irukkakudathu, adukku compare panna mahanadhi and anbe sivam are brilliant,
mmkr listilla illa?? yean adu super padam (4 roles by kamal and each is distinct)
kealadi kamani the most underrated tamil film, no1 has heard of it nor have ppl seen it. super padam ennakku romba pudikum
neenga tag panaccha favourite 25 movies nu pannirukknom, 10 ellam romba small number,
aaziada kolangal from balu mahendra and paneer puspongal, rendu padumom super coming of age stories, adu onga additional list illa kuda illai yean??

Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

SPB acting in kealadi kanmani is good, annal andha padathila neenga thalai (illayaraja)in music a patthi sollalaia, the song where SPB attempts a breathless on the beach...enna pattu, simply super,

Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

almost all your favourits are mine too!!! wondering why MMKR not in your list!! btw, i never heard of Manakkanakku...

Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:26:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Mr.Narayanan - Mahanadhi - yes, it was a free flow of tears.. I agree.

Srivatsan - I agree that i missed MMKR in my additional list.But Azhiyatha kolangkal is there already. Since I never watched 'Panneer Pushpangal' (how come??) I couldn't evaluate it. And about IR's work in 'KK' - yes, it is appreciable. But when I realised later that they used the mixing technique and didn't record continuously, the charm went away. One of my college friend put so much of efforts to sing this in college competitions (particularly ladies college) and won accolades. At that time, I realised the real efforts required if it has been sung like this.

Sundaresan.. watch 'manakkanakku'. It was a movie in which Radha & Ambika really acted (apart from 'engeyo ketta kural')

Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:54:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ram, Wonderful list. Thou u missed some movies which I thought were great. Perception differs. I will come up with my list shortly.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

it doesnt matter that they used the mixing technique, the song is simply brilliant, every time someone mentionis the song it comes back to my head, how did u miss KB master pieceslike thaneer thaneer, arangartam and yeathir neechal??

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

i amhapy to c mulom maluram there, i think mulom maluram, yeangao ketta koral and mondru muduchu, avargal show rajinis acting skills and r among his best works,
varumain niran shivappu very realistic but not to be found,
veedu is another underrated film, i also believe that andhimandarai shud be there, and i was plannin to come up with a simiar list.
enna ram ongalist illa love today ellam irukku, adu ellam oru ordinary padam, nothing gr8
but perceptions differ as u said

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:49:00 PM  
Blogger IBH said...

Mahanadi, Ram, I remember very clearly the day i saw this mvie and i was crying like a baby during the scene when all those red light area women will throw money at the pimp and ......

that is one heart wrenching scene..i was shaking....

but oru kosteen? neenga ella seirous movieyum top 10 le pottutenga? neenga comedy lam idhula sekkave ilaye :) yen?

Thursday, June 30, 2005 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger che sara sara said...

same pinch IBH..even i cried on seeing mahanadhi....lovely movie
i cried on seeing thulabaram...and pasamalar too
.... a super list....

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:12:00 PM  
Blogger Suguna said...

hmm. Good ones. Mouna raagam and keladi kanmani--------- best movies

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Vijay.. awaiting ur list too.

Srivatasan.. you are right, I missed Thaneer Thaneer, Varumaiyin Niram sigappu etc., As I said the list is always long. 'Love today' somehow I remembered due to the climax.

IBH.. you are right. Once again it is perception. I think, my perception of good means realistic and natural. So,I might have missed humorous movies. That doesn't mean, that they are not good. Let me reserve it for another post of mine (!!). Anyhow, cineworld is ocean, isn't it? But in my top 10 list, I believe only 'Moondram Pirai'and 'Muthal Mariyathai' ended with a sad note. Others, either ended positively or with an open end (like Azhagi), eventhough the characters had undergone a big turmoil before the climax.... agreed.

Sophia.. do you carry big tissue box normally, anticipating the flood?

suguna.. I agree with you. Few of the ----.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger GS said...

Ram, your list was nice and definitely very unique! Vityasanamana movie list!

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ram, virus catching up again! thanks for tagging me. would post my list soon.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Chez said...

Well, everything was superb, except that film Mahanadhi.. i could never fit tht into one of the best movies by Kamal, instead i'd put in Anbe Sivam. :-)

Friday, July 01, 2005 3:55:00 AM  
Blogger caleb said...

excellent selection there!

great job...and i understand its so hard to choose your favourite!

Friday, July 01, 2005 6:38:00 AM  
Blogger Siddharth said...

hi ram...in fact i want 2 do a top 25 films list...since i watch so many tamil films(we seem 2 share this passion!!!)...i tht i will do separate lists of top 25 tamil and non tamil...will take some time though.but at the moment without thinking over if i had 2 list my favorite 10 tamil films...they would be-
10.Thillu Mullu & Michael Madana Kama Rajan 9.Mundram Pirai 8.Mudal Mariadai 7.Server Sundaram 6.Yadir Nechal 5.Nayagan4.Mahanadhi 3.Kadhal Konden 2.Agnisatchi 1.Arangetram & Mouna Raagam

Friday, July 01, 2005 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

Ram,

The TFM tag has been honored :-)

Saturday, July 02, 2005 7:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MuLLum Malarum - Story was written by UmaChandran and not Su. Samuththirum. My favourite serial from Kalki during school days.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Gayathri / JVC / MA / Caleb..thanks for your views

Anu..thanks for dropping by. agree with your views on MR.

Siddharth..take your time.

Arvind.. saw ur list as well. good one.

Swaminahtan.. thanks for dropping by and sharing the info on the story of Mullum Malarum. All along I was under the impression that it was based on a short story of Su.Samuthiram. BTW.. do you know any other movie based on his short stories? anything like 'aaril irunthu arupathu varai' ' uthiripookkal' etc.,???

Sunday, July 03, 2005 2:18:00 PM  
Blogger NS said...

Ram,
Awesome list... Wonder how I missed Keladi Kanmani... I love that movie to bits and pieces... Superb performance by SPB, and role of a lifetime for Radhika... Great film out and out...

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger vICkNeS said...

nice list ram....
totally agree with u with kamal's performance in mahanandi...
especially the scene where he went to look for his daughter in the brothel...
i could only watch it once...the impact is juz too great!

But, I juz watched nayagan again few days ago...and i have to say his perfomance in that movie is still the most outstanding...plus with mani's direction n janagaraj's superb supporting role...this movie deserves a mention in the Top ten!

Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home