if i

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Trying to be adventurous

.
Got a mail from my college hostel mate today..He is working in Chennai now and as usual was grumbling about Chennai weather. We felt that year-by-year the heat is increasing, which has become unbearable nowadays. It was not that bad during our college days in Madurai. Our college had an added benefit of trees, trees, trees & trees everywhere. Being a college of more than 100 years old at that time itself, most of the buildings were old but well maintained.

I was a day-scholar in the first year and during the remaining years, I was staying in the hostel (due to my Dad's shift to Chennai). It was one of the oldest hall in the campus. It used to be square in shape with balconies on both sides of the rooms.. one balcony facing inside empty ground and another balcony facing the outside campus. (the reason for this explanation is coming....)


Front Entrance of our Hall

Being a strict college adhering to disciplines, the hostel rules were also like that. Need to be present in our rooms by 8:30 pm and Study time upto 10pm (!!). Superindents and Wardens may come for round-ups. Then for an hour, a break would be given.. We can sign the book at the hall entrance and go out of the campus -- to taste some of the night delicacies, which are famous in Madurai (Idli, Paratta, etc.,). Eventhough, the hostel life resembled some other environment (!!), I learnt a disciplined life from there...(my wife & son are too vexed sometimes, when I exercise few...!!!)

Eventhough, I used to follow the rules initially, I enjoyed crossing the limits couple of times. I used to go out for movies with friends and returned late in the night. Since the hostel gates would be closed by 11pm, we had to jump into the hostel somehow, thru the outside balconies.. (see the right side of the picture again).

One of the efficient guys (!!) would climb up first and then drop a bedsheet for me to climb up... I had bruised my hands/legs couple of times during these adventures (!!!). I was never caught during these episodes....eventhough, few hostelmates had the experience of going upto the Disciplinary committee on this account.

The Climax was a memorable one..

During the final semester exams, we visited our friend's nearby house for group studies. Sometimes we used to stay in his house, sometimes returned back to hostel in time. His mom used to make nice idlies. Don's ask me, how much I gobbled during my visits!! Just on the penultimate night of my college life...I returned to the college at about 12pm with another friend. While I was approaching my hall, we were noticed by our Superindent... Immediately we skipped the idea of getting into my hall, and went over to another hall located somewhere inside the campus. (there also we jumped over the wall..that's where my friend was put up).

Next day morning, I was called for... and the Supdt. gave a good lecture. The good impression which he had on me earlier, saved me from disciplinary action....that final day.

Otherwise, it would hv been another memorable tale in my not-so-adventurous life....

Pl. enjoy my other related posts as well...
On the Bus-top
My First, First.....

5 Comments:

Blogger saranyan r said...

good one Ram. this brings back the memories of my own college life. wondering how time flew by :)

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

Ninaivo oru paravai
Virikkum athan siragai
Parakkum adhu kalakkum than uravai!

:-)

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

saranyan / thennavan..

yes..
nyabagam varudhae
nyabagam varudhae...

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rams do remember me or not your are remmebering my mother made idlis. nice to see with you the memorables . i feel happy really ,because most of the freinds(PG also) when they meet me now a days remmeber the same and share with their wives on meeting me. (iam glad that iam part of many of my friends in their life memorables).kanmani rajan

Saturday, May 28, 2005 3:50:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Kans

It is not easy to forget those days..thanks for re-visiting the blog.

Keep visiting

Saturday, May 28, 2005 7:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home