if i

Friday, December 01, 2006

Loathing to Exciting!!!

This applies to those topics of interest during my academic years and career days.

History & Geography were among the subjects which I never touched willingly, during my school days. But when I was forced to go around to different places, I started liking the same subjects which I loathed earlier. It has become a habit of collecting historical background before visiting a place… Wikipedia and the local guide books serve a lot from that perspective.

The same logic applies to English Literature as well… I knew there was a guy with this name 'Shakesphere'. I had come across discussions with which Shakesphere’s works were attached. Even then, I was not inclined to know more about his works.

However, when the hindi movie ’Omkara’ got released with an open fact that it was an adaptation of ‘Othello’, the name struck me. Till then, I never knew what that story was about.




This time, the same thing happened to ‘Hamlet’.....

I would not have put efforts to visit wikipedia to know more about Shakesphere’s ‘Hamlet’.... if I had not planned to visit this Kronborg Castle, which is also called 'Hamlet’s castle'.

Seems the novel on the Danish Prince Hamlet was set around this castle.

Kronborg Castle is located at Helsingor (‘Elsinore’ in English) at the corner of Zealand. It is only 4 kms away from the other side of Sweden and hence it was supposed to be at a strategic location in those olden days, to face enemies from the neighbouring kingdom.

Seems, ‘Hamlet’ was performed for the first time in this real castle to mark the author’s 200th death anniversary.





After the visit to that enormous structure, we wanted to have a free ride…

Being a Sunday, we were offered the same by Scandlines ferry services to cross the 4kms stretch between Helsingor (Denmark) and Helsinborg (Sweden). The ferry ride took only 20 minutes to get into the neigbouring country once again.

Currently, this is the only ferry route between the two countries. Seems they had cancelled all other services between these two nations, after opening the Oresund bridge to Malmo.

Nothing was exciting in Helsinborg, since we ended up seeing some more Forts, Chapels & Town halls…

However, this angel at the tip of the harbour was different….

This one, reminded me of Robert Langdon’s look outs for Angels, in Dan Brown’s ‘Angels & Demons’.





My quest for different structures within Copenhagen, didn’t stop… with what I had visited earlier.

I found the structure of this Grundtvig Church unique, which made me to visit the place last weekend. Seems this was constructed in remembrance of one Mr.N.F.S.Grundtvig who was a priest, poet and politician & had a vast influence on the Danish culture.



Built after the first world war, this front tower reaches 50metres upwards..

The structure looked enormous… which you could easily observe from those miniscule people coming from the church’s side…













Even though, the city centric Rosenborg Castle was one more addition to the castles which I visited here...., its yet another picture perfect castle.


Plus lots of valuables, jewels, Danish crown are at display here …





Not sure whether I would cover anything more interestingly in and around Copenhagen…. to satisfy my new found interests on History & Geography.

Keep the fingers crossed..... :-) :-)


My other Copenhagen Posts:
Getting Colder….
Can we adapt one more day?
That entertaining one hour…?
Sea side, Lake side and what else?
A visit to the Traditional & Modern city…(Malmo, Sweden)
290th post

6 Comments:

Blogger Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Hi,
Post was 2 good...
Especially the photos added mroe beauty :)

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Ohho..forgt 2 make a mention :D
Me me me 1st 2 comment :D

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Krishnakumar said...

Awesome snaps and great narration :)

Thursday, December 07, 2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Krishnakumar said...

Awesome snaps and great narration :)

Thursday, December 07, 2006 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Marutham said...

Feast to the eyes... :)
Lovely snaps & great post! Hist & Geo.//? Getting interesting!! :)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Chakra said...

post pottu romba naal aache thalaiva?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home