if i

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Kathalaal Kasinthurugi.... (காதலால் கசிந்துருகி...)

Is there anyway to copyright the above title? I heard that people are vying for it, for their next romantic movie. (before even I posted this, I came to know about those hunters!!!)

Don't judge me by the title of this post... I never had that experience personally, eventhough I had seen instances whereby friends got into the love-web. Few even got married!!! Eventhough, I am not keeping in touch with them at the moment, I trust their post-marriage life is as romantic as their love life.

Coming to the subject... If a romantic story is well shot without much (!!) flaws, I used to get trapped into the movie. I used to feel happy for the lead pair if they get united and very depressed, if not (same as when a hero wins over the bad-guys like Kamal's Apoorva Sagotharargal or Vikram's Dhool). Since I didn't include any major romantic flicks in my last two weeks 10 best movies (Overall & Comedy), I thought of listing down some memorable romances which I had encountered on the screen.

Missiamma - A romantic hit of those days by Savithri and Gemini. Does anyone remember 'Vaaraayo Vennilaavae..' song? Hopefully, everybody does...

Kalyana Parisu - Sridhar's debut movie with a big star cast of Nageshwara Rao-Gemini-Saroja devi. Still I can remember those family fights of Thangavelu-M.Saroja (might have listened to it more than 100 times). A romantic as well as hilarious movie.

Then Nilavu - Once again Sridhar with Gemini. But this time with Vaijayanthimala. No one can forget that 'Paatu Paada Vaa' song and the scenic Kashmir of those days. Another memorable flick.

Thillana Mohanambal - Inspite of all the commercial ingredients in it, I can classify this as a romantic comedy. Nicely emoted by Padmini & the Thespian (eventhough few scenes were over the board). Baalayya's actions in the first temple song ('Marinthirunthee parkkum...') followed by the train sequences were hilarous ones.

Varusham 16 - A fantastic remake of a malayalam hit by Fazil. I was so depressed when Kushboo was killed in the climax.. Still I watched it couple of times, due to the way it was narrated.

Kaadhaluku Mariyadhai - Vijay proved in this movie that he can really emote well. Shaalini's promotion to a full fledged heroine in this movie proved to be a correct decision. Eventhough the second half was dragging a bit, the superb finish made me to ignore those portions. No match to IR's composition for 'Ennai Thaalaata Varuvaala..."

Kushi - Another egoist story well presented. Eventhough, the director reveals in the beginning about the fate of the lead pair, the screen play was etched beautifully without making you bored. Travel of Friendship to love with lots of ego. If you ignore Jyotika's branded mannerisms at times, it is a great movie to watch. A subdued portrayal by Vijay, nicely supported by Deva. One of my favourite song in this movie is "Mottu Ondru Malarnthida thudikkum.....".

Kannedhire Thondrinaal - A nice theme on the confrontation of friendship & love. Neatly portrayed by Prashanth, Karan and Simran. It is hard to find flaws in this movie with a tight screenplay. That had really impressed me. How many of you are aware of this? I made a post on its director Ravichandran here.

Alai Payuthae - Eventhough 'n' of movies had come out on the life after love marriage, this movie has its own mark. ManiRatnam. He brought out the reality in such a nice way, that even final romantic care of Arvind Swamy on Kushboo was impressive (eventhough it was for few minutes). AR.Rahman's wonderful tunes, added beautiful colors to this flick.
.
.
.
.
Dum Dum Dum - A surprise love story from Mani's disciple AlagamPerumal. Romance was nicely blended with comedy & sentiments, in an appreciable proportion. The Real romance starts only after the second half and was aptly supported by Karthik Raja. After listening to the songs, you will wonder as to why such a talent is not getting a chance.

As usual I can list many more romantic flicks which I enjoyed. Some of you may choose from that list also and may even bring out somemore. Enjoy by sharing your romantic movies as well. Some of those interested me were, Vaazhkai (vaijanthimala), Kuzanthaiyum Theivamum (Jaisankar, Jamuna), Sumathi En Sundhari (Sivaji, Jayalalitha), Solla Thaan Ninaikiraen (Sivakumar), Ooty varai uravu, Vasantha Maaligai, Nizhagal, Raaja Paarvai, vaazhvee Maayam, Payanangal Mudivathillai, Alaigal Oyivathillai, Kadalora Kavithaigal, Nadodi Thendral, Bombay, Kaadhal Kottai, Jeans, Run, 7G Rainbow colony, Kaathal and so on.

Will you include Rajini's 'Naan Adimai Illai' (Sridevi) and 'Un Kannil Neer Vazinthal' (Madhavi) as romantic movies? (Eventhough they were not hits in the B.O.)

I have specifically excluded Kathir's Idhayam, Endrum Anbudan, Kaadhal Desam, Kaadhalar Thinam, Kaadhal Virus, since I was never impressed with his presentation. BTW.. does anyone remember his 'Endrum Anbudan' (Murali&Heera)?

144th post

31 Comments:

Blogger Munimma said...

No dearth of romantic movies in kollywood. Some of my favorites - Then Nilavu, Raja Parvai, Pesum Padam, Anbe Va, Kadalora Kavithaigal, Panneer Pushpangal, Kathalukku Mariyathai, Nala Damayanthi, kalyana parisu, kai kodukkum kai, man vaasanai and so many many more. Hard to list them all.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

Dum Dum Dum was really nice :-)

Thenilavu - awesome songs...actually most of the movies you have listed have awesome music :-)

Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

you missed punnagai mannan. I feel that it is the best tamil romantic movie ever made. If you have seen the movie then you will surely remember the scene where Kamal dances to Ilayaraja's background score and Revathi is spellbound sitting in the chair, that was raw! haha I dont know how else to describe it...

Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger Saravana said...

Raam avargale .. Ennudaya padam -- Idhayathai Thirudaathey -- Actually Its the best in Telugu -- Geetanjali

FY kind info -- I'm blogrolling you.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

ellam ok, i am not happy with 2 vijay flicks in th elist,
personally i dont think the movies were tat gr8, konjam mandaia kasaki think panna i can find movies as a replacement for these movies.
yes neengal guess pannathu rite, nan oru vijay fan kadiathu.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:52:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

@muniamma
paneer pushpangal is more of a coming of age movie rather than a romantic comedy, hard to classify it under that genre

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

u can register ur title with the film chamber\copyrite office,

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Munimma, u are right you can add a lot... Mann Vaasanai was another good film.

Arvind.. U r right

Robbie.. U r right. I missed it, somehow. Definitely, it is a memorable romantic movie.

Saravanakumar.... Thanks for blogrollg me. I have not listed any dubbed movies here. (did I, by mistake??). If we need to, then I may include the poetic 'Salangai Oli' too. BTW.. Idayathai Thirudathey was a nice movie, except those funny comedy scenes inserted in between!! This is the movie in which Girija used to say 'Odi Poyidalamaa', right??

Vatsan.. again perception. I too never used to like Vijay's movies. These two are decent movies. I may add Ghillie to one of his interesting movies, which I liked (but not as romantic movie)

Vatsan... I believe you are misreading 'Paneer Pushpangkal' as Mahendran's 'Uthirip pookal'. Is that right? Or else are u really talking about Bharathi-Vasu's 'panneer pushpangkal' in which Suresh & Shanthikrishna made their debut?

Vatsan.. Is there any benefit? Can I sell it later at a profit? I may have 'n' no. of other poetic titles too.... Any business possible? (like those who made money out of registering some websites earlier...BTW.. have you heard about one websie ARMANI.COM started by One Mr.AR.Mani and sold to GIORGIO ARMANI for a big price.. Info: thru KAPS)

Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger GS said...

everything else ok ... Kushi? I found that very boring!

Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:08:00 PM  
Blogger Pavals said...

//Kuzanthaikkaga (Jaisankar, Jamuna)// kuzhandhaiyum deyivamum??

'Un Kannil Neer Vazinthal' is tat a romatic movie r crime thriller??

cud have added 'pudhu kavidhai' (rajini - jothi)

Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Gayathri.. may be, for u.. :-) :-) I didn't feel so..

Raasa.. mikka nandri, suttik kattiyatharkku. sari seiythu vitten. UKNV - I have heard about this movie, but hv not seen. But I knew that it was a flop. So, I don't know whether it is a R or T movie. 'PK' may be a good choice. U r right.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger Woodooz said...

Ram,

I think Idhayam was a very good movie. Just that Kathir used the same formula (Hero unable to express his love) in his other movies which I presume miserably backfired.

Well, not to mention the backing which IR gave him in Idhayam !!

You have missed out Mouna Raagam.
You have missed out Roja.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

My favorites - alai paayuthey, Dum-Dum-Dum. Raja Parvai...I've forgotten..have to watch it again.!

Thanks for Kushi/Kannethire thonrinal ..for some reason I didn't watch them.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

I like all your selections and some already added by everyone. I especially like Thillana Mohanambals train scene where you get to see the romantic tension just in their eyes.

I also like the romance in Indra, Sathya. :)

Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

i am talking of santanabarahti-p vasus paneer puspangal, its more of a coming of age story than a hardcore romantic story,

mouna ragam is also a love story in my books, maybe not the usual candyfloss ones but nevetheless its the battle btwn the two men in revathys life, and how she reconciles the two,

film titles ku ellam namba orru producers kasu kudukamatangal, if a title is booked they simply change it. ippo ellam title chumma oru reference for movie, it has no connection wit movie.
armani patthi kealvi patturiken
heard of the itunes uk site dispute?

Friday, July 15, 2005 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Speech is Golden said...

Ram!!!!! I just cudn't put Kushi in the same league as Thillana Mohanambal. There were very very few things in the movie worth mentioning.

Kanethire Thondrinaal was a decent movie. Not Top 10 material, I would say.


Even though they had sad endings, Sethu and Moonram Pirai were romantic movies. Weren't they? Robbie is right. Punnagai Mannan should have been in the list. Amazing movie. Kaadhal Kotai was good as well.

I am wondering, is Mouna Raagam a romance. I find the distinction bet'n romance and drama very confusing. Is Chinna Thambi drama or romance?

Azhagi, Kaadhalan, Guna, Salangai Oli, Alaigal Oyvathillai or Varumaiyin Niram Sivappu???

But on the whole...a great list.

Friday, July 15, 2005 1:04:00 AM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Somu, since i included Mouna Raagam in my alltime best earlier, I didn't include it here. Roja - yes, worth mentioning.

Mr.Narayanan - K.Tnl - a decent movie. Enjoy if you get a chance.

Visithra - U are right about Indra and Satya. They are similar to 'Bombay', where focus shifts to social issues after a little bit of romance.

Vatsan - U hv disappointed me, after informing about some interesting business potential.

RKRam - Azhagi, I included in my Alltime list already. R U sure about Kaadhalan? For me, it was not a touching romance.. Don't know, whether it is due to Prabhudeva or Nagma, inspite of AR.Rahman's presence.

Friday, July 15, 2005 2:49:00 AM  
Blogger NS said...

Nice list there... I agree, Kushi and Kadhalukku Mariyadhai were good flicks... Kannedire thondrinaal is also one of the better movies of recent times..:)

Idhayam is one of my all time favorites... the whole movie was poetically done... I love the dialogues, the use of Murali's diary to convey emotions...
Nee ucharitha podhu thaan therindhadhu, en peyar kooda ivvalavu azhaga endru...
enakku andha lines romba pidikkum..:-) Lovely movie, and of course, not to forget the music!

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:27:00 AM  
Blogger Woodooz said...

Speech,
It could very well pass to be a drama. However, the entire movie is about how Mohan tries winning Revathy's love,how Revathy tries winning Mohan's love and eventually how they win each other's love. In that sense, it was definitely a matured love story.

Karthik's 30 min performance in this movie won him many accolades as a romantic hero !!!

As for Chinnathambi, I wouldn't even consider it in any of those categories. Good music (IR composed music for this movie in just 45 mins, can you believe that?) and overload of sentiments helped it become a blockbuster. I found the movie very kiddish though !

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:48:00 AM  
Blogger Prabha said...

missiamma was a cuuutte movie..i remember watching it on K tv..
Dum Dum Dum..tells the twists in love
My all time fav lovey dovey movie is mouna raagam though..i dunno if u can call it romantic :)

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:57:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A great list Ram.if someone asks me what tamil films would u recommend me,i will just point them ur blog ;-)

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice list, Ram.. many are my favorites too.. In your 'etc' are some of my other favorite movies like Pookkalai Parikkatheerkal, Eeramana Rojave, Minnale, Run and Jayam.. I like these b'cos

a) the hero doesnt do anything extraordinary to make heroine fall in love with him (like singing, saving her from rowdies, etc.) and

b) the lead pair dont fight like they were born-enemies before they fall in love..

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Saravana said...

Yes Ram, Its the same movie in which the heroine says "odi poyidalaama". This one is one of the best movies by Manirathnam (in the genre of Mouna Ragam .. and then he shifted his attention on terror)

Also his Kannathil Muthamittal is worth a mention.

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Surya said...

Rajini's Johnny can also be included i guess, it does talk about true love

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Ram
kalyana anapparam kooda love pannalame
I mean with our better halfs :)

Friday, July 15, 2005 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger AF said...

Ram, Good list
I like Dumm Dumm Dumm, Kushi, Kaadhaluku Mariyadhai,Alai Payuthae. Good job on excluding Kaadhal Desam such a stupid movie, others i have not seen.
Ram you do a good job on these movie lists, it brings backs memories.
thanks
AF

Friday, July 15, 2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Alai payuthae is my pick. the songs were beautifully shot!

Friday, July 15, 2005 1:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Nithya... May be u r right about Idhayam. But I did exclude the movie from the basic list, since Heera had never shown her emotions in that movie. She appeard just like an Air-hostess doll.

Somu.. Chinna thambi, is just a commercial hit with nice songs. You r right. we cannot classify it as a romantic movie.

Prabha.. Mouna Raagam.. Athayum Thaandi Punithamaanathu :-) :-)

Cipher..Thanks. Welcome

GP.. agree with Minnale and Jayam. But I excluded Pookalai Parikaatheerkal and Eeramana Rojave, since I felt the stories as very hollow. But they did have some nice moments.

SK..u r right.

Ganesh.. U r right. It happens. I do, hope you do as well... :-) :-)

AF..thanks.

Karthik.. U r right.

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

ganesh: kalyanathukkaporam thaan neenga love panneengannu sollunga... paavam ram,avara vidunga:P

Friday, July 15, 2005 4:34:00 PM  
Blogger Saravana said...

Heera - Air hostess -- Ram good comment, good justification.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger யாத்ரீகன் said...

epideenga DUM DUM DUM-ai idhula add paneenga..

btw: unga profile photo, was a nice choice.. paiyanum paarka cute-aathaan irukaan :-))))))

Friday, July 22, 2005 1:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home