if i

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Musical Count Down....

Year end has approached already... and it is time to evaluate.

Not my performance... but the journey thru the 2005's cine music extravaganza.

Already bloggers have started rating this year's releases, where I had even voted for my favourites. So, I have decided to skip all those ratings and wanted to bring out those songs which had mesmerized me & made me to listen to them repeatedly.

As I had mentioned, I am rating only those mesmerized me.. I might have excluded your favourites, inadvertently. If I had done so, pl. let me know...



10) "Kanmoodi Thirakkum Podhu..." from Sachein scored & sung by Sri Devi Prasad, was a nice song which didn't get the attention that much, since the movie was supposed to be a flop. Since, I liked the lyrics & the picturisation, it has been recognised into my final 10.


9) Eventhough "Unnai Saranadainthen ..." sung by Kalyani & Prasanna (or Piranna?) was not placed in the already lengthy Thavamai Thavamirundhu, I liked the tunes of Sabesh / Murali.

Initially, when I listened to it, I felt like listening to one of ARR's earlier compositions. Later, when I watched the movie, I could find only 'Nanae Tholaintha Kathai...' with the same tunes, still likeable. Other notable songs, which I liked in this movie were the romantic 'Enna Parkirai..' and the emotional 'Oru murai thaan..'. You should listen to the lyrics of 'Oru Murai thaan..' Reality may strike you.

8) I believe 'Uyire En Uyire...' from 'Thotti Jaya' by Haris Jeyaraj went unnoticed due to the violent theme of the movie. Still an interesting song to listen, sung by Karthik, Bombay Jayashree & Anuradha Sriram. Another interesting number from this movie was, 'Yaaridamum...' which was very much likeable.

7) 'Raa Raa..' from 'Chandramukhi' [Binni Krishnakumar - Thippu], has come into the list mainly because of the different presentation. I heard that these tunes had been borrowed by Vidyasagar from Kannada 'Apthamithra'. I felt that other songs had become hits, just because of Rajini. Nothing else.... Otherwise, they were not great numbers from Vidyasagar.

6) 'Theepidikka Theepidikka...' sung by Anushka & Premji (Gangai Amaran's son) in 'Arindhum Ariyaamalum' had made Arya an instant star. Kudos to YSR and the husky voice of Anushka. Another song which impressed me very much was 'En Kannodum...' sung by YSR himself. Beautiful picturisation too....

5) The only album by ARR during this year, was not capitalised very well by our great SJ.Suryah. Out of this, I would rate 'Mayileragae.. ' as a better one than others, due to the soothing voice of Madhushree & Naresh. An interesting observation by one of our blogger was that when you hear this song in a fast forward mode, you may get the rhythm of 'Maramkothiyea, Maramkothiyea...' song of the same movie. That's how I also felt.

Another interesting song from this movie 'Aararai kodi..' which I missed in the Great ARR Singapore show , was a comical song in the movie... still my son used to enjoy SJ.Suryah's comical movements in this song.

4) Without 'Iyengar Veetu azaghe...' from Anniyan the list won't end. Haris Jeyaraj with Hariharan & Harini in this song, really impressed the mass.. and also with all his other numbers. [I still like 'Rendakka' for its colorful presentation & 'Kumari' for Amsterdam]

3) Eventhough 'Andha Naal Nyabagam..' ('Athu Oru Kana Kalam') resembled one of Ilayaraja's old classic, the soothing voice of Vijay Jesudoss & Shreya Ghoshal had pushed it to greater heights. Unfortunately, the individual performances of everyone involved in this project didn't make it to click in BO. Lucky next time...


2) Jeeva had a lucky deal with Ameer, when they came out with 'Raam'. An excellent collection of songs from YSR, had also helped them to get an instant recognition for this movie --- in addition to the screenplay. The soothing voice of KJ.Jesudoss in his 'Arariraro..' and the emotional shots had made this song to get this slot. Another number which impressed me a lot in this movie was 'Nizhalinai nijamum..' sung by Vijay Jesudoss.


1) What else can snatch the first place, other than 'Suttum Vizhi Sudare...' from Ghajini. An attractive song of the year from Harris Jeyaraj, sung by Sriram Parthasarathy & Bombay Jayashree, made me to make a maiden attempt during the deepavali season.

The way it was shot, along with those acceptable lyrics & superb performance by Surya & Asin had pushed it up in the ladder to this height. ['Oru malai..' was another favourite of mine in this movie, in which Surya's dance had revealed his improved performances]. Kudos to the team.... :-) :-) It is unfortunate that Asin had not signed any movies still.... :-( :-(



The other numbers which I considered before short listing the above were the following numbers.

Noothana - Karka Kasadara - Prayok [Haris Raghavendar - Chinmayi]
Chinna Chinna - Kana Kandein - Vidyasagar [Thippu - Sunitha Sarathy]
Khajiraho - Oru naal Oru Kanavu - IR [Hariharan & Shreya Ghoshal]
Pani Thulli - Kanda Naal Mudhal - YSR [Shreya Ghoshal, Kay Kay & Thanvi]
Saami Kitta - Daas - YSR [Hariharan & Shreya Ghoshal]

Some notable /intentional misses are from Maayaavi, Oru Kalluriyin Kathai, Sivakasi, Majaa, Mumbai Express and new releases like Sandaikozhi, Kalvanin Kadhali, Dishoom etc.,

What do you think?
240th post

18 Comments:

Blogger Raju said...

Excellent choice, Ram.. I was thinking about the the same concept too, after my post on all the bests.. Only other song which would have come in my top 6 is 'Kanda naal mudhalai'..

But, overall, ARR's infrequent tamil albums meant a big loss to us.. the quality was just OK.. I cant think of more than 7-8 albums with decent numbers.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:01:00 AM  
Blogger crsathish said...

ram, most of this songs are listed in my current play list too. well done. but rahman's Aa aah is missing.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger Ram said...

you left adhu oru malaai ... from Gajini.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

Ram do you really think "Konja neram konja neram" had no merit of its own? I don't discount the Rajini factor in the other songs (least liked by me is Kokku para para - enna lyrics idhu? :-)) but they are my number 1 choice neverthless. Haven't heard many of the songs you mentioned but I can be real picky too when it comes to selection :-)

Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Balaji said...

agree with probably half your list :) but then again, thats why music means something different to each person!

Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ram,

good selection...how about
1. Kaalai Arumbi..form Kana Kandein by Srinivas and Kalyani?
2. Ennai Pandhaada and Mazhai songs from Ullam Kaetkkume
3. Kaatril Varum geethame from Oru Naal Oru Kanavu

@thennavan, IMO, 'Konja Neram' was spoilt by Asha's pronounciation.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Shankar & Parvathy said...

Sundaresan, I had the same songs in my mind. I guess they're good melodies of 2005.
Otherwise, 'Poo Poothathu' from Mumbai Exp. was one another melody from Illayaraja beautifully sung by Sonu Nigam (His pronunciation surprisingly is pretty decent!). Others that pop up are: Konjam Konajm (Arindhum Ariyamalum), Merke Merke (Kandha Naal Muthal)

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:40:00 PM  
Blogger Anu said...

Wow... what a good list of songs.. The only change from the list I had is "Kaatril Varum geethame" from Oru Naal Oru Kanavu :)

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Ram,

Good selection Ram...you pretty much summed up the proceedings. I felt YSR had a good year.....
My additions...some of these are not among the popular ones as the movies did find favour with the audience

Maayavi - Kanmoodi Thirakkumbodhu
Ponniyin Selvan - siruthooral
Kicha Vayasu 16 - Sila Neram Sila Pozhudu Sodhanai Varumpozhudu (has some excellent lyrics)
Englishkaran - Yaarathu Yaarathu (Shreya Ghoshal)
Aaru - Nenjam Ennum / Paakatha
Thaka Thimi Tha (was it released this year) - Kaadhalai Yaaradhi Mudhalil Solvadhu
Chidambarathil Oru Appasamy - Ponna Porantha

Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

Raju.. ARR's temp loss has yielded some new breed of MDs, including his nephew GV.Prakash.. that's a good news. :-) :-)

Sathish.. surprisingly that AA is missing out.

Ram.. I included that song as 'oru malai' in that Ghajini collection itself.. :-)

thennavan.. as sundaresan, has pointed out, I was not impressed too much with Asha's voice. that's why it has been missed out intentionally...

balaji.. I agree. perception and taste differs :-) :-)

Sundaresan.. I thought about 'Ullam Ketkumae' and dropped since the album was released long back.. I am not sure if it was released in End 2003 itself or beg-2004!!!!

shankar.. yes, konjam konjam of AA was a nice melody to be considered..

Anu.. I don't know why I wasn't impressed with that song from 'OKOK' .. may be because I didn't like the kerala flavoured picturisation!!!!

Kaps.. 'kanmoodi ..' is from 'Sachein' which I included as '10' in my list.. Did you refer to 'Kadavul thantha..' sung by SPB.Saran? Yeah.. 'Thaka thimi tha's song was a nice one, it got released last year only.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suttum Vizhi- undoubtedly the numero uno.
superb list.

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, amazed to see that you too like 2/3 from my list.

My top 3 song would have been :

3.Rampwalk Remo - Anniyan
2.Uyire en uyire - (Kuppai)Thothi jaya
1.Oru maalai - Ghajini

Friday, December 16, 2005 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Ram,
Thanks for correcting. I was referring to Kadavul Thandha from Maayavi.

Friday, December 16, 2005 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

super choices :) .... enakkum Suttrum vizhi chudare thaan first....

Sunday, December 18, 2005 8:25:00 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

excellent list ;) i cant seem to disagree but i might add another song from ah aah - thazhuvuthu or thigu thigu

mayilrage n maramkothiyeh's same tune but different tempo makes it repetitive after a while

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Gladtomeetin said...

Wow Beautiful Selection and nice Rating too :-))

It just made me recollect all my favourites ;-))I feel "chinna chinna", from Kanakandein and "Che Che Che" from majaa should be included in top 10 rating !

Keep Rocking !

Sunday, December 18, 2005 11:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sachein Flop-pa
Another Vijay hating Blog...

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Thana said...

Shreya Ghoshal has a combination of divinity, freshness, sweetness and vibrancy all rolled into one voice. She is my all time favourite singer. Check out www.shreyaghoshal.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 07, 2006 6:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home